Friday, April 19, 2013

A light at the end of the tunnel...

   Today marks 11days post-surgery for me, and I can honestly say that I am feeling great. I haven't had an contractions or cramps, no bleeding, and I feel our little man moving all of the time! I will admit that I am dying to get up and to move around and to run and lift weights again. I miss working out. I knew it was a big part of my life, but you never truly appreciate something until you can't do it anymore. But this is totally worth it. I would sacrifice whatever I needed to for this baby. I love it when I feel him kicking around in there. I cannot wait to meet him, and finally give him all of the hugs and kisses I have been dying to give him throughout all of this.
  Our big adventure today was a doctors appointment. I was extremely anxious to see how everything on the inside was looking, but I was also extremely nervous that they were going to find some reason to tell me I couldn't go home until after delivery or that something else was wrong with our sweet boy. After yet another extensive ultrasound, they said that our baby boy looks great and is now measuring up to a whopping pound and a half (right where he is supposed to be)! From the ultrasound they were also able to see my sutures on my uterus and they said that it all looked amazing. Now all that I have to do is stay on my anti-contraction medication, stay on bed rest, and help our son stay inside of me until July 19th (when I will be 37 weeks)!
  Here comes that part that I was dreading... the doctor came in to talk about out when my next appointment would be and how much longer they thought I would have to stay out here in Philadelphia. CHOP's rules are that every fetal surgery mother has to stay in the area, post-surgery, for 3-4 weeks and then they might be able to go home. This Monday marks 2 weeks post surgery for me, and I am absolutely DYING to go home. I miss my little Noah and Dante more than I can say. Anyways, the doctor came in and told us that she had been talking to my doctor in Utah, Dr. Ball, and told him that she thought that I needed to stay the full 3 weeks out here, just to be sure that everything was ok. When she told me this I completely lost it, of course I want to do what is best for my son, but my heart is aching to be home with my loving husband and cute baby. The thought of another 10 days sounded awful... I know in the grad scheme of things, 10 days is not that bad, but I have been out here since March 31st, and I have been  so home sick. I felt crushed. Luckily, my mom was with me, and if any of you know my mom, you know that she does not have a problem speaking up when she doesn't agree with something. Long story short, after lots of tears and talking, I have an appointment next Thursday, six days from now, and she said that if everything looks good, she will let me go home. At that point I will 4 days shy of the three week post-surgery mark, so I will technically still be following their rules, but at the same time I won't be out here forever. I can do six days. I feel much better about that, and it has given me a a lot of peace knowing that I potentially have an end date in site. Sitting in this hotel room, staring at the same four walls, just wondering about that unknown about our son and our recovery and how much longer we were going to be out here has been one of the worst parts of my own recovery. I have been praying my heart out since this all began, but especially now I am calling on my Heavenly Father to help me get home as soon as possible. I am so extremely grateful that my mom has sacrificed so much to be out here with me, but I know, and we both agree, that my recovery is going to be a million times better for my own mental well-being to be around Dante and Noah and my loving support group I have waiting for me at home.
  We are more than grateful for the health that I have had and for the strength and health our son has had. He has been healing beautifully from the surgery. I know that once he is born our little man is going to need some more help, but I could not have asked for his surgery and recovery to be going any better than it has gone. After having all of these ultrasounds, I feel like I have seen our baby boy a ton, but I am getting giddy to actually meet this little boy! I know he is going to be a huge blessing to our family, and Noah is going to be such a great big brother. 
  We are still asking that you please continue to keep us in your prayers and thoughts that we can both stay on this road of positive and healthy healing, and that I can get the doctors approval to go home on Thursday to my sweet little family to finish my recovery at home. I know that Dante and Noah have both been doing great and have been so strong throughout all of this, but I also know how hard this has been on them as well. We have felt all of your prayers, love, and support out here and we are so appreciative of it all! I will continue to keep you updated on my progress, and hopefully my return home flight on Thursday.
One day post-surgery scar

One week post- surgery scar

11 days post-surgery scar after the tape was removed

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the update, Anna. We are all thinking about you and still praying for you and every member of your family. So happy this baby has a mother who is completely willing to sacrifice her body, time, comforts of home to welcome him to mortality. Stay strong!